Autographed sports collectibles are a great way to commemorate a beloved athlete or preserve fond sports memories, but there’s nothing quite like game used sports memorabilia to get close to your favorite athlete. These one of a kind sports collectibles are items that are used or worn during a game, allowing sports fans to bring home a piece of the action and preserve unforgettable sports moments. Game used memorabilia ranges across a variety of sports collectibles, from a jersey worn by a player in a game, a piece of equipment like a football used during an NFL game, or a hat worn by an MLB player in the outfield.
In an effort to bring sports fans and collectors authentic game used collectibles that they can trust are genuine, Fanatics Authentic developed exclusive relationships with various players and professional sports teams to receive these pieces right out of play. By working directly with these teams and players, Fanatics Authentic is able to serve as a first-party authenticator for all of its game used collectibles. With a system that requires a representative to witness the use of every piece of game used memorabilia, Fanatics Authentic is able to diligently document the authenticity of each item. Whether it be on the field or in the locker room, Fanatics Authentic representatives remove each item from play to certify with its exclusive authentication hologram and a unique alpha-numeric combination. Sports fans can use this code to reference their collectibles at any time in the massive Fanatics Authentic Verification database to prove its authenticity and get background information on the item.
In addition to game used memorabilia, Fanatics Authentic offers other similar, but more affordable sports collectibles that allow fans and collectors to own their very own piece of the action. Practice-used jerseys and equipment brings fans items that touched their favorite athletes’ hands, but are at a slightly lower price because they weren’t featured in an official game. Game-issued collectibles, which are items designated to be used in play or worn during a game, like a kicking football issued for a specific game that wasn’t used, are also a great addition to any sports collection. Player issued and team issued memorabilia are also very uncommon and valuable sports collectibles that include items that were not actually used in a game but were selected for a certain player or team and may or may not feature an athlete’s name or number, in addition to the team name or logo.
On the sports memorabilia market, game used collectibles are much fewer in number than typical sports collectibles, like signed jerseys and autographed balls, which makes them even more valuable. With only a limited number of items used by players in a specific game, and even less that are sold to the public, game used memorabilia is very rare. For example, a Peyton Manning signed jersey already holds a high worth, ranging from $600-$1,200, but a Peyton Manning autographed game-used jersey values more of $10,000 to $15,000. Since buying game used collectibles is an investment that has the ability to acquire a large amount of value over time, it is vital to take every precaution to ensure that these collectibles are authentic. Therefore, purchasing game used memorabilia is an asset to any sports collection and must be done so according the tips below.
- Buy Based on Athlete – Game worn or used items from sports heroes, such as Derek Jeter, or Hall of Famers, like Joe Montana and Michael Jordan, are valued most due to their legacy.
- Invest in Potential Breakout Players – The biggest financial returns in sports memorabilia occur when an athlete’s autograph is affordable because they have yet to break onto the professional sports scene and then drastically increases in value when that player skyrockets to fame. For example, Malcolm Butler signed collectibles weren’t nearly as valuable before his game-winning interception at Super Bowl XLIX as they are now.
- Look for Items from a Significant Event – Items used during the Super Bowl, World Series, All-Star Game, or game in which an Athlete reached a milestone are even more valuable.
- A Certificate of Authenticity is a Necessity – Fraud is a major problem in sports memorabilia and can be an even bigger issue when shopping for game used collectibles. Therefore, documentation from a reputable authenticator is of absolute importance when purchasing game used items.
- Choose a Reputable Retailer – Many work exclusively with athletes and teams to guarantee the authenticity of each piece with a certification system that pulls collectibles directly from play and documents its use.
- Shop Smart – Although it may seem like common sense, game used collectibles should not look brand new or untouched and if a deal sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
- Get Educated – Knowing the habits of an athlete, as well as details about a player’s uniforms and equipment are simple ways to avoid being scammed. Athletes always wear a specific size in their uniform and typically have brands they represent consistently.